Complaints Procedure

Making a Complaint

Most problems can be sorted out quickly and easily, often at the time they arise with the person concerned and this may be the approach you try first. Where you are not able to resolve your complaint in this way and wish to make a formal complaint you should do so, preferably in writing as soon as possible after the event and ideally within a few days, as this helps us to establish what happened more easily. In any event, this should be:

  • Within 12 months of the incident or
  • Within 12 months of you discovering that there has been a problem

Please state your case clearly giving as much detail as you can.

If you are a registered patient, you can complain about your own care. You are unable to complain about someone else’s treatment without their written authority.

We are able to provide you with a separate complaint form to register your complaint and this includes a third-party authority form to enable a complaint to be made by someone else. Please ask at reception for this or download it from the Complaints page.

Please send your written complaint to:

Mrs Isata Green, Practice Manager
The Fairlands Medical Centre
Fairlands Avenue
Guildford, Surrey

If however you are ultimately not happy with how we have dealt with your complaint, and would like to take the matter further, you can contact the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman who make final decisions on unresolved complaints about the NHS in England. It is an independent service which is free for everyone to

Contact Details of the Ombudsman:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower

Tel: 0345 015 4033

What We Do Next

We aim to settle complaints as soon as possible.

We will acknowledge receipt of your written complaint within 3 working days of receiving it. Your complaint will be fully investigated and a response will be sent to you as soon as possible. There is no fixed time limit to respond to your complaint, however, we aim to fully respond to your complaint within twenty working days of receipt. If the investigation is likely to take longer than 20 working days, you will be informed accordingly in advance.

In order to help us deal with your concerns to your satisfaction, you will be contacted to discuss and agree a plan for managing your complaint and your expected outcome.

When looking into a complaint, we attempt to see what happened and why, to see if there is something we can learn from this, and make it possible for you to discuss your concerns with those involved if you wish to do so. You will be invited to a face-to-face meeting with the person(s) concerned to attempt to resolve your complaint/concerns amicably and locally.

If your complaint is about a GP or other clinicians, it will be investigated by the Senior Partner, Dr Chris Lukaszewicz who is the Clinical Complaints Manager as well as the overall complaint Manager for the Practice. When the investigations are complete, you will receive a final response in writing.

Where your complaint involves more than one organisation (e.g. hospitals, community services etc), we will request that you contact these organisations directly so that you complaint is fully dealt with. However, we may need your consent if we have to obtain information from other organisations when investigating your complaint at the Practice. Where your complaint has been sent initially to an incorrect organisation, we may seek your consent to forward this to the correct person to deal with the complaint.

The final response letter will include details of the result of your complaint and also your right to escalate the matter further if you remain dissatisfied with the response.

All complaints concerning the Complaint Managers will be passed on to another Senior Partner for investigations.

Complaining on Behalf of Someone Else and Sharing of Data

We keep to the strict rules of medical and personal confidentiality. If you wish to make a complaint and you are not the patient, we will require a written consent from the patient to confirm that they are unhappy with their treatment or our service and that you are authorised to act on their behalf.

Please ask at reception for our Complaint Form which contains a suitable authority for the patient to sign to enable the complaint to proceed.

Where the patient is incapable of providing consent due to illness or accident, it may still be possible to deal with the complaint. Please provide the precise details of the circumstances which prevent this in your covering letter.

Please note that we are unable to discuss any issue relating to someone else without their express permission, which must be in writing, unless the circumstances above apply.

We may still need to correspond directly with the patient, or may be able to deal direct with the third party, and this depends on the wording of the authority provided.

Sharing of data with third parties

Please note that, should a patient make a complaint, the practice may need to (only if necessary) provide information about the patient, and treatment they have received, to insurers or legal advisers, should the need arise.

Also, clinical advice may be sought from other third parties where applicable.

Please refer to our patients’ GDPR leaflet and notices which can be found on the Privacy Notice page. You can also request a copy from our reception desk.

What to do if you are dissatisfied with the Outcome of your complaint

You may approach Health Watch Surrey for help
or advice

Healthwatch Surrey provide confidential advice and support, helping you to sort out any concerns you may have about the care we provide and guiding you
through the different services available from the NHS.

Please find below contact details for Healthwatch Surrey:

Health Watch Surrey
The Annexe
Lockwood Day Centre
Westfield Road

Tel: 0303 303 0023


Surrey Independent Living Council (SILC)

You can also seek advice and support about making an NHS complaint from the Independent Health Advocacy Service, Surrey Independent Living Council

Telephone: 01483 310 500

Text: 07704 265 377



By Post:
Surrey Independent Living Council (SILC)
Coniers Way

Responsible Person for Complaints

Dr Christopher Lukaszewicz

Complaint Managers

Dr Christopher Lukaszewicz (Clinical)

Mrs Isata Green (non-clinical)